My initial reaction to the Wilpons selling off part of the Mets was trepidation but now that the first potential ownership group has emerged I’m very excited by the possibilities.
Martin Luther King III, Ed Kranepool and Donn Clendenon Jr. are leading an investment group acting aggressively out of the gate and BMF is lovin’ it.
Imagine MLK’s legacy, the all-time Mr Met, and the son of a ‘69 hero joining the organization as owners. It would instantly make the Mets the coolest team in town… at least in the ownership department.
We used to have cool owners when the Doubleday family was involved. Having descendants of Abner the man who invented the game was freakin’ cool… until Fred bought them out.
On the “cool owners” scale the Wilpons rate close to the bottom.
A couple of the cooler owners in sports:
• The Maloof Brothers - pretty cool owners
• Mark Cuban - sort of a tool but def a cool owner
• Al Davis - total psycho but still cool as hell
• Jerry Jones - acts like a dick but still cool
• Hank & Hal - their dad may have been nuts but he was definitely cool - Hank and Hal are anything but cool yet they’re still light years ahead of the cool challenged Wilpons.
• The Maras - family helped make the NFL - very cool
• Woody Johnson - pretty damn cool
This ownership group seems to want no less than 50% but the Wilpons are initially looking for 25%. I doubt they’d sell anything more than 49% but you never know…