There’s a lot you can knock about the Mets: their owners, investment strategies and the seemingly endless line of underperforming big ticket free agents, but the one thing you can’t knock is the kids.
Monday’s 7-3 win over the Bucs was a perfect example.
• Dillon Gee moved to 5-0 firing 7 innings allowing just 3R on 5H with 0BB and 8K. Gee has quietly become a hot young arm in the league with a WHIP of 1.00 over his last 3 starts.
• Josh Thole got the big hit doubling in the 7th to plate 2 and give the Mets the lead for good.
• Reuben Tejada had 3 hits and an RBI
• Justin Turner chipped in 3 more base knocks, and RBI and 2 runs scored
• Not sure if you can call Pagan and Murphy “young players” but each man had 3 hits too
There’s something about a young squad. They play their asses off and hustle like mad. Of course there will always be growing pains with youth but at least we can root for them.
This Mets team seems to have a dynamic it hasn’t had in years young players impacting the game and clubhouse. A youthful exuberance is replacing a bunch of over priced mercenaries.
Slowly but surely Sandy Alderson is remaking this team… Let’s just hope he can retain Reyes.