Technically there’s plenty of time left in the free agent sweepstakes of Jose Reyes but if you ask me the writing is clearly on the wall.
Jose Reyes will be a Florida Marlin next year and for a minimum of 5 more years beyond that.
If you’re Reyes it makes too much sense:
• Florida is about to open a brand new stadium
• Florida just hired one of the best skippers in baseball in Ozzie Guillen
• Ozzie is about to turn that franchise around (again). He’s electric in the dugout, clubhouse and media in addition to supercharging that team and town he’ll encourage Reyes to be Reyes unlike here in NY where there were no shortage of uptight people complaining about Jose’s dancing and handshakes.
• Possibly best of all the Marlins ARE NOT the Mets. That franchise has proven it can win championships. They have/had their fair share of issues with ownership and attendance but the new stadium will likely change that significantly.
• The Marlins look like they’re doing the Latino thing right. Instead of Omar’s strategy of signing Latino talent only to hand the team over to Willie “What’s a Double Switch” Randolph Ozzie Guillen is the face of the Marlins and I can tell you right now he’s gonna do it right.
• Miami is going to be a non-stop carnival for Reyes. That might be a bad thing long-term but as far as free agent carrots go it’s a HUGE plus that NY can’t compete with.
• NYC is been there, done that for Jose. The Mets are depressing. Their owners are caught up in Ponzi schemes and nothing ever goes right for the Mets. Miami has all the possibilities of success at their fingertips.
• In case you forgot Fred Wilpon inexplicably dissed Jose in a magazine article and the fans booed/bashed Jose when he sat down after 1AB in game 162 to ensure the first ever Met batting title.
I gaurantee Jose hasn’t forgotten either of those situations.
Quite frankly I don’t blame Jose for wanting to leave.
One off-topic thought here:
WTF is wrong with Penn St fans rioting and flipping vans?
Are they so woefully uninformed that they don’t understand what was just uncovered at their school? Or are they such blind football fans they have zero compassion for CHILDREN BEING MOLESTED BY A COACH AND COVERED BY PATERNO AND OTHERS?!?!?
Either way they are grossly out of line.